Click to Home
Go To Search
How to Handle Property Flooding Problems
Limiting Drainage Blockages
Many residents don't realize their subdivisions are designed to move water. Some of these paths run through backyards, side yards and even front yards. It's important not to change the grade of or block these areas. Blockages to these areas include fences, planter boxes, shrubs or other structures.

If there is a drainage swale in your yard, do not fill it in because it's important to have the swale to properly move the water. Some ponding will still occur in spots during and after a storm, and the length of time the ponding occurs will vary due to the amount of rainwater received from the storm. Subdivisions that are more than 30 years old do not have stormwater designs incorporated into their master plans. These areas, as well as other problematic areas in Tinley Park, have been or are being addressed with many different stormwater projects to help remedy this problem.

Other Things You Can Do

Several of the Village’s efforts to control stormwater flooding depend on your cooperation and assistance. Here is how you can help:
  • Always check with the Building Department before you build on, alter, regrade or place fill on your property. A grading permit may be needed to ensure that projects do not cause problems to yourself or your neighbor.
  • Do not dump or throw anything into the ditches or streams. Even grass clippings and branches can accumulate and plug channels. A plugged channel cannot carry water, and when it rains the water has to go somewhere. Every piece of trash contributes to flooding.
  • If your property is next to a ditch or stream, please do your part and keep the banks clear of brush and debris. The Village has a stream maintenance program that can help remove major blockages such as downed trees and beaver dams.
  • If you see dumping or debris in the ditches or streams, contact the Public Works Department at (708) 444-5500.

Seeking Assistance / Submitting a Complaint
Read the Drainage Complaint Policy. If drainage is an issue on your property (i.e., standing water that remains in the area more than 48 hours and is not caused by sump pump discharge lines, downspouts and/or lawn sprinkling and is not obstructed by trees, shrubs, sheds or other impediments) and feel you need Village assistance in rectifying the problem, please download the Drainage, Flooding or Encroachment Complaint Form and submit it to:

Draining Department
16250 S. Oak Park Ave.
Tinley Park, IL 60477

A public works representative will follow up with you shortly.