Click to Home
Go To Search
Sanitary Sewers
Services and responsibilities of the Village and its residents
Residents who have a sewer and sanitary backup should first call the Tinley Park Public Works Department at (708) 444-5500 to check the status of the Village's main sewers. If the problem is determined to be the resident's responsibility, then the Building Department will be able to provide a list of licensed plumbers.

Residents should get three estimates before digging up a sewer. It is important to note that sewer problems usually are caused by roots and not by a collapsed pipe. If the blockage is caused by a tree in the parkway, the Public Works Department will not cut down a live tree if a homeowner is experiencing sewer problems.

How to deal with sewer backups

When a sewer backup requires immediate action, Public Works representatives are available to help residents determine the problem. Below are a few tips to help you deal with a sewer backup.
  • Always call the Tinley Park Public Works Department prior to contacting a plumber when you experience a sanitary sewer backup or when the problem seems to be caused from somewhere outside your home. A Public Works representative will be dispatched to check the main sanitary sewer line at no cost to you. The Public Works representative is there to assist you and to estimate the distance from your house to the main sanitary sewer line. This information will be useful if you need to call a plumber later.
  • Be sure to ask your plumber to measure from the house line to the blockage.
  • If the blockage is located in the main sewer line, Public Works will remedy the problem as quickly as possible.
  • If the blockage occurs between the main sewer line and your house, you will be required to call a plumber to remove the blockage.
  • Public Works suggests that you compare the prices, guarantees, availability and work experience of at least three licensed plumbers.

Village Flood Prevention Brochures and Maps

Additional Resources