Benches on the Avenue
Tinley Park's Benches on the Avenue
public art program has become one of the Village's most popular attractions, drawing thousands of residents and visitors annually to Downtown Tinley. The colorful benches feature the work of both amateur and professional artists and provide spots to rest and enjoy the fantastic creations while strolling through town.
2017 Benches on the Avenue: 'The Power of Music'
Take a stroll down Oak Park Avenue from 172nd to 176th streets to view all 19 Benches on the Avenue, which are based on the theme “The Power of Music” and feature the work of both amateur and professional artists.
Benches on the Avenue, which in 2017 celebrates its 14th year, is an award-winning public art program that features nearly two dozen benches along downtown Oak Park Avenue showcasing the unique and colorful designs of professional and amateur artists from the area.
Artwork is based on a different theme each year, and benches are on display from mid-May through the first week in October. Each bench is sponsored by a local business or individual, who takes possession of it after the program has ended.
Winners of the 14th annual Benches on the Avenue public art project were announced during intermission at the July 29 Music in the Plaza concert in Downtown Tinley. Winners included:
- Best Portrayal of Theme: “Music Speaks Life” by Bethany Nemec
- Most Creative: “The Wordsmith” by Marty Rose
- Best 3-D Bench: “Sweet Home Chicago” by Nick Schulien
- Best Use of Materials: “John Williams Musical Themes” by Jennifer Lilly
- Judge’s Choice: “Coldplay” by Jennifer Lilly
- Best First-Time Artists: “Star-Spangled Jimi” by Sue Kohlstedt-Berry and Sean Berry
- Best Group/Family Project: “Heavenly Sounds” by the Hillcrest High School Art Society
Judges included Patty Ridings (Tinley Park Chamber of Commerce), Joanne Konrath (Tinley Park Public Library); Greg Carter (Tinley Park Park District); Mary Elizabeth Mucci (Mucci World) and Adam Pries (Tinley Park High School). A Benches on the Avenue brochure and video are available on the Village website.
2017 Benches on the Avenue Brochure
Join host Garrett Gray as he profiles the 2017 Benches on the Avenue during a special on-location edition
of "Discover Tinley."