The Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act banned all electronics from going into landfills, as these products contain hazardous material. This means that if you place electronic items with your garbage for pickup, they will not be collected by your refuse hauler. These items include:
- Computers (including tablets), monitors, printers and keyboards
- TVs, VCRs, DVRs and digital video disc players
- Computer mice, small-scale servers and scanners
- Fax machines
- Portable digital music players (iPods, MP3 players)
- Digital converter boxes, cable receivers and satellite receivers
- Game consoles (Playstation, Xbox, etc.)
In response to the growing need for electronics recycling, Homewood Disposal offers options for towns and individual customers to dispose of their unwanted e-waste safely and responsibly.There is a one-time pick-up charge of $25, which includes all e-waste collected (with the exception of TVs and monitors, which cost an additional $25). Click here
for more information.
For more information on the e-waste law and a complete list of registered recyclers, collectors and refurbishers, click here
to visit the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency or call (217) 524-6713.