7850 W. 183rd St.
Phone: (708) 444-5342
Fax: (708) 444-5399
Mondays through Fridays
8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Tinley Park Crime Free Rental Housing Program, designed to help residents, owners and managers of rental units keep drugs and other illegal activity off their properties, has been under way in the Village since April 2009. The program requires landlords to:
- Obtain an annual business license under the program
- Attend a training seminar conducted by Village staff
- Add the Crime Free Housing Lease Addendum on their tenants’ leases
The program is a nationally recognized, effective way to reduce crime in rental properties. It utilizes a unique, three-part approach which ensures the crime prevention goal while maintaining a resident-friendly approach. This program covers all residential rental units, including apartments, single-family homes, individual condominiums and townhomes. The program includes:
- Phase One: This involves a mandatory four-hour seminar presented to landlords and property managers by the Tinley Park Police and Fire departments.
- Phase Two: This optional phase certifies that rental property has met the security requirements for the residents’ safety.
- Phase Three: An optional resident crime prevention meeting will be conducted for full certification. A “safety social” also is offered in which all residents are invited to meet with the police and discuss the program.
The program's training for landlords and managers focuses on: