Where: 17344-17348 Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park
About 1868, Christian Andres built a new general merchandise store at the southwest corner of Oak Park Avenue and 173rd Place, moving from a smaller building on North Street. The Village's first telephone was installed here in 1898. A two-story brick building addition was built in 1906, which bears the name "Andres Block" after its owner.
Carl Vogt Building
Where: 6811 Hickory St., Tinley Park
This large, two-story brick and limestone structure was likely built in 1865 by John Lewis or his brother, Allen Cleveland Lewis, in the Italianate style (which was popular during the mid to late Nineteenth Century). The brothers once owned several thousand acres of land in the area. This house was an anomaly in its day since it was far larger than any other home in the area and was constructed of brick at a time when all the other structures were of frame (wood) construction.
Christian Andres House
Where: 6832 173rd Place, Tinley Park
This well-preserved, two-story Victorian frame home was built circa 1896 by Christian Andres Sr., a prominent businessman, developer and banker. He was a leader in the incorporation of the Village of Tinley Park and later served as a trustee. He was also the Village's very first treasurer. This house is included in the 1972 Illinois Historic Structures Survey for places of architectural interest in Illinois.
Ed and Joe's
Where: 17332 Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park
Built in 1892 by Jacob Funk as the Columbia Hotel for Peter Nielsen, it was likely named in recognition of the 400-year anniversary of Christopher Columbus' discovery of America and the Chicago World's Fair that celebrated that event. In 2001, the building was extensively renovated and looks much as it did in 1892.
Henry Brueggemann Home
Where: 17247 67th Ave., Tinley Park
The Brueggemann house is an example of an American Foursquare, a style which was popular from the late 1890s to the 1930s. This particular home was built by Philip Mager for Henry Brueggeman in 1913. Five generations of the Brueggemann Family have lived in this house, including a great-grandson of Henry himself.
Where: 17358 Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park
Johann Wilhelm Hollstein opened a saloon at this location about 1868 and offered lodging rooms on the upper floor. Around 1890, the original building was moved west and turned south to face the railroad tracks, and a new saloon building was constructed facing Oak Park Avenue. The old structure became the family residence and can still be seen today.
John Fulton Jr. Home
When: Circa 1850s
Where: 16800 Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park
In 1858 and 1859, John Fulton acquired about 146 acres of farmland at the corner of Oak Park Avenue and 167th Street, which was then north of town. This property became the home of John Fulton Jr. and his family. The home originally consisted of a small living room and dining area, with two bedrooms upstairs. The house was enlarged in 1912 with an addition in front of the original structure (facing Oak Park Avenue).
Old Zion Landmark (Tinley Park Historical Society)
Where: 6727 174th St., Tinley Park
In 1884, local residents (including carpenters John Klepper Sr. and Jacob Funk) built this church in the "prairie Gothic" style. The stained glass bible window above the front door was added in 1912. The tall gothic stained glass windows on the front and side walls were installed in 1938, replacing earlier opaque and original clear glass panes. It is now home to the Tinley Park Historical Society and is available for weddings and other meetings. Historical artifacts are on display inside.
Where: 7112 173rd Place, Tinley Park
This house has a stucco-like exterior surface made using a product called Ironite, which was once manufactured here. The house was built by John M. Rauhoff in about 1909. Rauhoff was a prolific inventor, with more than 13 patents to his name. It was his patented designs that were used for the manufacture of the Diamond Spiral washing machine, which was built in Tinley Park's first factory. Rauhoff's Ironite is said to have been used in the construction of the Hoover Dam.
Where: 17329 Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park
Shortly after the arrival of the Rock Island and Pacific Railroad in 1852, Henry Riebling built the Pacific Hotel, reflecting the hope that the rail line would extend to the Pacific Ocean. The building contained rooms on the upper floor and a saloon on the main floor. By 1876, Henry Boldt was its proprietor, and in 1887 he refurbished the building and renamed it Bremen Hotel (Tinley Park's name at the time).
Tinley Park Methodist Church
Where: 6871 173rd Place
Tinley Park Union Church was built in 1900 on a lot donated by Christian Andres Sr. and had been located in the middle of what is now 173rd Place at 68th Court. The church was moved in about 1909 to its current location to allow John M. Rauhoff to build a subdivision to the west of the property. One of the church bells was donated by Edward Tinley. The original church was incorporated into the construction of the current building in 1910.
Vogt Visual Arts Center (Henry Vogt Home)
Where: 17420 67th Court, Tinley Park
This building was built in the Victorian style by Henry Vogt Sr in 1882. Four generations of the family lived in this home, which remained within the family for 112 years. The stained glass window over the front entrance is a reproduction of the original. The brick tower on the west end of the home (toward Oak Park Avenue) was added in 1888 as a small water tower and is constructed of brick manufactured in Homewood, IL.
When: Circa 1865
Where: 17437 67th Court, Tinley Park
Local legend suggests this house is the oldest in Tinley Park and, without question, it is one of the oldest houses in town. However, local historians believe that Carl R. Vogt likely built this house around 1865. Directly to the east of the house is a rare and unique 10-foot-square brick and limestone "shed," which historians believe to have been originally constructed as an ice house and is believed to date to the mid-1860s.
William Moak House
Where: 6140 167th St., Tinley Park
This interesting and impressive brick and frame house was built in 1883 by William Moak Sr., who was a local dairy famer and horse breeder. In 1894, the home was described as one of the finest residences in the region. His son, William B. Moak, was an attorney and assisted with the Village's incorporation in 1892.