The Tinley Park Fire Department will offer one-on-one CPR/AED Hands-On Certification. Classes will be held by appointment only, on the following days:
- The second Thursday of the month at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- The fourth Saturday of the month at 8 a.m., 9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Classes will begin on Saturday, June 27, 2020.
The procedure is as follows:
- Go to the American Heart Association at https://shopcpr.heart.org/catalogsearch/result/?q=online+classes to complete the online portion of the class you need:
- Heartsaver CPR/AED (Product Number: 15-1401)
- HeartCode BLS (Product Number: 15-3254)
2. Mail or drop off the following information:
- Completed Hands-On Certification Registration Form.
- A copy of your online class certificate from the American Heart Association.
- Payment of $45 in one of the following formats:
- Check made payable to the “Tinley Park Fire Department”
- Exact cash
- To: Tinley Park Fire Department
3. Once the above information is received, you will receive an email to schedule an appointment for your
one-on-one Hands-On Certification. Scheduling will be based on the availability at the time of receipt.
4. Classes will be held with proper social distancing guidelines put in place. Masks will be required.
The Story Behind Resusci Anne
Pictured below is the death mask of a young woman who drowned in the River Seine in the 1880s. As was customary in those days, her corpse was put on display in the Paris mortuary in the hope that someone might recognize her and claim her body. The pathologist on duty became entranced by the girl with the enigmatic half-smile, and so he commissioned a plaster cast made of her face. This mask was replicated many times over. She became known as “L’Inconnue de la Seine,” or “The Unknown Woman of the Seine.” In 1955, a toy maker named Asmund Laerdal created what we now know as the CPR doll. Asmund wanted his mannequin to have a natural appearance. Remembering a mask on the wall of his grandparents’ house many years earlier, he decided that the L’Inconnue de la Seine would become the face of Resusci Anne. So you see, this anonymous woman who drowned in the Nineteenth Century is responsible for saving many, many lives the world over. It is said that she has the most kissed face of all time.